Re: [A/S] Dodge Ram 7 Pin Connector

Jim,

Thanks for the informed advice.

I was thinking about the challenge last night.  Since my truck is
factory-equipped with a trailer tow harness and plug, I probably shouldn't
worry about replacing the existing wiring.

Instead, I should be able to simply learn where the existing wiring is and
where it derives its power.  I can cut the existing wire under the hood and
attach the cut ends to the new relay which could be attached to the
firewall.

Then it should be fairly easy to locate switched B+ to power the relay
coils.

I submitted an order for the Dodge service manual via the web over the
weekend.  I should have it within a week or less.  I assume (and hope) the
service manual will help me locate both the existing charge line and a
source of switched power to operate a relay.

The only challenge remaining should be to identify the continuous duty relay
needed, and locate a source from which to purchase it.  Rather than deciding
between a 20 amp or 30 amp relay, I guess I should determine the amperage
rating of the existing B+ feed.  I expect it is fused in the panel under the
hood and the fuse rating will answer my question.

Can you suggest a brand and part number as well as a source for the solenoid
switch you use?  Is Radio Shack a good source?  I know RS offers lots of
small electrical and electronic parts.

Harvey