[A/S] noisy diesel

Im looking to replace my tow vehicle, probably with a used
vehicle, it will also be my daily driver. I know we have
gone through some discussions as to brands and types of
tows but, for the wife, I have to ask about noise level.

I would like to get a diesel, based on power and
reliability but  they appear to be much  louder than gas
engines, at least from the outside. Day to day, how much
louder is a diesel when you are sitting in the cab,
especially at highway speeds?

I keep telling her we can just turn up the radio but?.

Virtually yours,

_ Herb