Re: [A/S] water bladder

It depends on the location and on the insurance law in that location.
Most policies however , are very simular and list the specific things
that void your liability coverage and that void your "own damage" coverage.
In my province, there are very few things that erase one's liability
coverage. The provincial authorities want to make it pretty certain that
if there is liability coverage, the guy who's wronged  gets his.
On the other hand, "own damage coverage" does come with specifics
regarding alcohol , namely being convicted of impaired driving, being
over .08mgm% blood alchohol and , strangley, being impaired by drugs or
alcohol to such a degree as to be incapabable. The last voider I've
never seen sucessfully used. Also some convictions under the criminal
code such as dangerous driving etc can lead to loss of own  damage
coverage. I suppose that if police charged you and you were convicted of
dangerous driving because your load  was too large, you could lose your
"own damage" coverage.
In practise, however, these charges are usually dropped or plead down to
a lesser charge and the insurance company loses it's hook on which to
hang a denial of comprehensive or collision coverage.

> Not so?  I also was under
>the impression that published load limits are in point of fact legal
>documents. I would hate to be put in the position of defending against
>a tort claim in such an instance.

They are and they aren't . As far as convicting a person under charges
of dangerous driving, they could be used to estabish mechanical
capability of the vehicle in criminal court.  It would then hinge on the
prosecution being able to demonstrate that the driver went ahead and
drove the vehicle in such an  overloaded state and that doing so
constituted "dangerous driving" as defined by the Code.
In civil court, if he was charged and/or convicted of dangerous driving,
that would make defense of his liability in the situation very difficult
but it would not void his insurance coverage. It would, however, if
convicted, void his "own damage" cover.

>I've gotta believe that if I were an
>adjuster and could see an obvious overload condition (and I have done
>some motor vehicle reconstruction work) my initial reaction would be to
>deny and let them duke it out in court.

You would probably get yourself and your employer in a suit for "bad
faith" and "punitive damages" . The law, in fact , is very often more
with the insured that the insurer, and companies don't want to go there.

>'Course my kids will all tell you I'm something of a hard..s

 I  guess I wasn't enough of a .. >:o .
Sarge