Re: [A/S] Where to begin

"airstream: history of the land-yacht" by bryan burkhardt and david
hunt (chronicle books, 2000) is an excellent resource/coffee-table
book, but the kind of detailed model by model/year by year
information probably needs to mined piece-meal from tom
patterson's excellent archives: http://www.tompatterson.com, then
'Search'.

See also RJ Dial's most excellent photo archives at:
http://vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

i've owned several airstreams over the years - from 1976 - 1980, i
travelled coast-to-coast and full-timed in a 20' 1965 Globetrotter
which i towed behind a 1959 Bentley S-1 (right-hand drive).

currently, i'm doing a shell-off restor/renovation of a 1948 19'
'Trailwind'... a friend from the local wbcci unit put up some recent
pics at: http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/memories/tuna/

i haven't done much more than gut it in the almost three years i've
had it... (long stories). I plan to pull it with the re-re-powered
(350tbi/700r4) 1949 Willys-Overland 'FrankenJeepster', also
undergoing restor/renovation

1993 - 1995 I fulltimed in a 1972 27' Overlander. I was (just barely)
able to tow it (the two miles from the lot where i found it, to the rv
park where it stayed until i towed it back to the lot and sold it a
couple of years later) with a 1983 Chevy S-10 blazer (small v6).

Although this was one of the famous/infamous 'Beatrice' Airstreams
- rear-bath - it had no evidence of rear end droop, and i never looked
to see if it had had the retrofit frame-supports. It had the
brushed-aluminum finish, and had developed the filiform corrosion
under the clearcoat, but still looked pretty good.

For my money, the twin-axle Overlander from the mid-60's to the
mid-70's is the ideal size/weight/towability model ever made. Trailer
weights increased from the extremely lightweight 'pipe-frame'
trailers of the late '40's/early '50's to the quite heavy trailers of the
current line. Your current tow-vehicle could handle it, no problem.

Tuna
Reno, NV