[A/S] Cummins 24 valve diesel questions

Hi All,

I am the, I think, proud owner of a 2002 Dodge 2500 with
the 24 valve cummins diesel. I have a couple of specific
questions, and any advice is appreciated.

   1) Does it ever get quieter, and if not, can I do anything.

   2) Do the fumes go away, and if not, can I do anything.

   3) The manual says that the "wait to start" light should come
       on with the key in the "on" position (engine not started) when
       the manifold temp is below 66F. This morning (my first one)
       the outside air temp was 39F and the light did not come on.
       Do the batteries heat the manifold with the truck off?

Mark