Re: [A/S] Tow vehicles

Gerald,
  I understand that BC is really tough on the motorhomers with their
'toads' (towed vehicles). They require brakes on anything that weighs
more than 1500#, and MANY (most?) motorhomers don't bother with brakes
on the toads. From what I've read, the police will stop you, inspect
your outfit for proper brakes, and if found wanting, you will disconnect
the towbar Right There & Now and your co-pilot will drive the toad.

A half-ton truck can pull many trailers safely, many are rated to tow
7000# or even a bit more. However, if your trailer weighs more than
about 5000# when ready to roll, you're about at the limit, in my
opinion. You need to remember all the 'stuff' that you carry in the
truck in addition, looking at the Gross Combined Weight Rating to see if
you're approaching/exceeded that number. Only a scale will tell you for
sure. It's very easy to add 1000# to the empty weight of your rig, so
you need to keep that in mind.

                                  <<Jim>>