[A/S] fuel mileage re: Excursion diesel

Hi Larry,

The 21 plus mileage I posted about was *not* when towing.  As of yet we
don't have the Airstream we'd like to have one of these days in the not too
distant future.

I do have a friend of mine who owns a 2000 Ford F-250 Crew Cab (4-door
pickup) with the same 7.3 liter International turbo-diesel engine I have in
the Excursion and he tells me that he regularly gets about 23 - 24 mpg with
no problem.  Also, the mileage only drops a little when he is towing his
horse trailer with 5 adult horses aboard.  Not too long ago he made a trip
from Louisville, KY to eastern NC and he told me that he was able to keep a
steady 75 mph all through the mountains on the Interstates with no problem.
Since I now have the Excursion with the same setup as he does I know he is
correct.

The V-10 does get poor mileage compared to the turbo-diesel, no question.
But, it cost over $4,000 more when the Excursion was purchased just to get
this engine.  I've read that if you keep the truck with the diesel for 75k
miles you will then have your extra layout of cash back in fuel savings.  I
believe that also.  From the research I did before opting for the
turbo-diesel this seems to be a fantastic engine.  I really haven't come
across anyone who is dis-pleased with their 7.3 International turbo-diesel
yet.  I think Ford has done a marvelous job with the sound baffling and
insulation of engine from the chassis.  I'd buy another truck like my
Excursion in a heartbeat!

Fancy