The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

The Original Airstream E-mail List Archive

Re: [a/s] Maintenance questions-Univolt Convertor

Don:
Open connections don't draw current... you have a "hot wire" going to ground
through some resistance... ala not a direct short that causes smoke and
fire... I was suspecting something like a motor that was jammed and didn't
look like it was running ,but was turned on and stuck, drawing the so called
locked rotor current which can be a lot higher than the motor draws when
it's actually running....Is the fridge operating on 12 volts??? some have
110ac, 12vdc and LP.... some kind of a heating element would draw the
battery down quickly....

Getting a bead on the circuit that is drawing current will help a lot....If
you have a fair confidence level you have everything 12 volt turned off, you
could waste a couple of 1 amp fuses and probably find the circuit... just
substitute a 1/2 or 1 amp fuse for the fuse in the block and you should be
able to blow the fuse in the circuit that is causing the problem....

With all the talk about batteries, I checked the water level in the trailer
battery ( not an Optima like the bank in the truck) and it was down... added
water and I don't think I have a battery any more... just a water
bottle....I will let it charge for a few days and see what happens.....

Good Luck

Jim