Re: [a/s] Trip Planning Software (was Top-of-Ga to I-75)

I have Street Atlas version 7.  When you install it you have to make a
decision if you want all points of interest installed, the minimum amount or
just some selected states.  I tried sometime ago to install a few selected
states, the ones I was going to go through.  They tell you that it can take
a long time.  That is the understatement of the year.  I have a rather slow
notebook computer (Toshiba 400 CDT, it only has a Pentium 75)  I let the
computer run for over 8 hours and about 50% of it got installed.  I think I
chose about 4 or 5 states and eliminated all points of interest except
parks.

I just tried installing it on my desk top.  I told it to install the
minimum.  The minimum points of interest takes up about 50 mb.  If you
install everything it takes 256.8 mb.  I briefly tried installing only one
state and asking only for parks.  After about 5 minutes it installed less
than 1%.  I cancelled and went with the minimum install.  I could find no
campgrounds.  Admittedly I only looked in one place where I know there are
campgrounds but I couldn't find them.  But the RV park does exist in
Map'N'Go.

Now, I might be able to find this RV park if I install all 256.8 mb.  Not
sure I want to do that.  It is not necessary to install such a large file
with Map'n'Go.  Mind you Street Atlas caters to a different clientele,
namely people who need street level detail where ever they go and also for
people who make deliveries to specific addresses on these street.

I believe for RVers Map'n'Go suffices 98% (I just this minute made up that
figure) of the time.

So if you really want to enjoy your Airstream (see I made my message
relevant to this list) you have a choice, Street Atlas, Map'n'Go or one of
the other map programs.

Pete