Re: [VACList] Re: Free standing AC

Patti,
I am planning on installing a house AC unit on the floor in one of  the
closets in my 57 Sovereign of the Road. Venting and draining through the
floor and blowing out a grill in the closet door. House AC units are pretty
cheap these days at Sam's Club and easily & cheaply replaced down the road.
You may remember the AC unit in my 59 Ambassador  at the International this
summer that stuck out the wall through a hatch. It retracted into the pantry
closet for travelling. I was told by the previous owner that it was done at
the factory. The construction quality  was definitely up to Airstream
standards and it worked like a charm before they told us we couldn't use it.
It came with all of the original paperwork from 59 so I am assuming that it
was at the customers request. It was a small house unit as well. For a few
hundred dollars you can get as many btu's as you like and not mess up the
look of your jewel.
Colin Hyde
In the process of acquiring another jewel....a 50 Cruiser with a pipe frame