Re: [VACList] Re: Free standing AC

Last fall I decided to remove the old Frigi-King unit that had been on top
of my Safari since '73.  There was a massive water leak that I couldn't
locate and ultimately I tracked it down to the seal under the unit.

The original vent  had to be removed in order to provide the required 14" x
14" hole to insert the unit into.  It also meant modifying the structural
rib that centered on the vent.  Many years of buckled pavement and other
bouncing had pounded this arrangemet until the unit settled down in the back
somewhat and depressed the skin.  It formed a flat spot that collected
rainwater that ran it through the failed seal and down inside the wall
eventually surfacing over the stove.  It got to the point that, during the
"rainy season" here in CA, that I would have to place a bucket on the stove
with a tinfoil funnel to divert the water into it.  No small amount either.

Fortunately, I had come across an original vent and was able to install it
in place of the AC.  Even that proved to be a challenge because the
particular vent that is found on the late '60s trailers is rounded, which
meant that the skin (insided and out) had to be cut in order to create a
square hole.  So I had to mount the vent on a larger piece of skin and
install that.  The inside had to be repaired in a like manner.

Anyhow.....Then I considered what to do next.  I ended up getting a small
window unit (5250 btu) and inventing a way to place it in the front window.
It turned out very well, IMHO.  Nothing had to be modified.  43 lbs.  Just
open the rock guard and the window and put it in.  Since 80% of it is
outside, drainage is not a problem.  Any condensation drips over the A
frame. I have 3 interlocking pieces of Acrylite that close off the opening
at the sides and top.  It takes about 8 minutes from in the closet to being
installed in the window and about 5 minutes to return it.  The idea is that
it is to be used in an "emergency" like at the rally in Santa Nella CA two
weeks ago where it was 108 degrees.  Worked very well and my wife and dog
holed up in there for relief when they couldn't take it any more.  I must
confess that I did too.

An added bonus is that the unit only draws 5 amps (540w) and my Honda 2000i
generator doesn't even know it's there.  Only a slight blip when the
compressor kicks in.  The best part is that the AC was 93 bucks at Lowes and
another 30 or so for the Acrylite.

So fire away.  If anyone wants to see that this arrangement doesn't look as
silly as it sounds, I'd be glad to email a pic or two and/or provide any
other details about it.

GQ '67 Safari