[A/S] Hot Water Problem

My wife and I recently purchased a 1991 25' Airstream Excella.  On a
recent trip to Tennessee we came across a problem with the hot water
unit.  The switch for it to ignite is in the bathroom - it works
fine.  The unit lights without any problem, however, the unit fails to
re-ignite to keep the water hot.  On one occasion it even failed to
shut off the propane and kept heating the water until it opened the
pressure relief valve and spewed out boiling hot water (it only done
that just once).
Is there a possibility that I have a thermostat problem or is it
something else?  If it is the thermostat, how easy or difficult is it
to replace?
Thanks.

Danny