[A/S] Flipping Axles

Hello all,

This past weekend I was at my local Airstream dealer to
pick my trailer up after some minor service.  While I was
there I asked the service manager if they installed
replacement axles for Airstreams since I would like to get
additional ground clearance on my 1990 32'.  He indicated
that they did but that normally for additional ground
clearance on older axles they just "flip" the axles.

I questioned him about this and expressed scepticism about
flipping a duratorque axle.  He proceeded to assure me
that they could do it and that they didn't really flip the
axles they just call it that because it was a common thing
to do on older trailers without duratorques.  He even
showed me the mounting brackets that are used to raise the
position of the axle.  He said they do three or four every
year and that it is an approved service by Airstream.

This particular dealership has sold Airstreams for 30
years and I have used them for the past 10 years with
total satisfaction so I am inclined to trust them.
 However,I still remain sceptical because I know there has
been discussion about axle replacement and I am wondering
if raising the axle mounts or "flipping" them is an
acceptable option.  I know that I will eventually need to
replace the axles but right now I cannot afford the $1500+
to do so.  I need about 3 or 4 inches of additional ground
clearance to easily get the trailer in and out of my
driveway without scraping.  The long overhand on the 32'
is problematic with the slope of my driveway combined with
the crown on the street.  I have never had a problem with
it while traveling or in campgrounds.

David Robertson