[A/S] Re: New Airstreamer

> Never towed a trailer before so I am still a little afraid of what
> lies ahead.
Congrats!  The people on this list are terrific and generous with
their knowledge.  I haven't been towing very long.  Started towing a
28' CCD earlier this year, never had towed before.  Was scared half to
death, but now I can hardly wait for each next trip.

I also got some great advice from a friend who used to drive tractor
trailers.  The most important, I think, was this:  Take your time -
Never be in a hurry.  When you're rushed you can make costly mistakes,
either while driving or while hooking up.  I almost drove off once
with the steps still lowered -- all because I was in a rush to get
home before dusk.

Practice before a real camping trip.  Get some cones or empty water
jugs and take them to an empty parking lot.  Set them up to
approximate corners and curves, and practice until you get a feel for
how the trailer will track behind the car.  Then pick out some white
lines and practice backing straight backwards.  After you can do that,
take your cones or empty jugs and start backing in between lined-up
cones.

For backing up, I found I was confusing myself by switching between
looking in my mirrors and turning around to look.  But that changed my
 mental spatial orientation, it seems.  I think it's best to pick one
method and stick with it.

When you pick your trailer up, you might want to bring someone to
video tape the hitching procedure, and possibly the whole intro to
your trailer.  I taped my hookup and wished I'd taped the entire
orientation.

Congrats again on your new trailer!

Claudette &
Moby Dick (2005 GMC Sierra crewcab 4x4 w/ Duramax) & 28' CCD