Re: [A/S] New Airstreamer

Hi Robert
I towed a 30' 1974 International with an 89 Crown Vic, the smaller motor,
with a transmission cooler, for a few years. It got the job done but I admit
now was just on the edge of what I really needed. When I got the chance I
went to a Suburban 2500 which does the job in fine style.
You'll be OK with the smaller trailer.
Make sure you get the dealer to set up the brakes, towing hitches and
equalizing bars. These need to be done professionally and the expense is
worth all the difference in the way the lash-up tows. Money well spent.
Don't be too intimidated by towing a trailer. You have to remember that you
are now a lot longer than normal, are a lot heavier than normal and your
rig's momentum is far greater than without the trailer. It takes longer to
accelerate (coming off the ramp onto the freeway, allow lots of time and
distance) It takes longer to stop. I always try to think that those other
idiots out there are simply out of thier minds driving while I'm driving and
I need to look out for them. Don't tail gate,  try not to drive into
intersections when the lights are going amber. Again it takes longer for
your longer rig to clear the cross road.
When we first got ours, I hooked her up to the Crown Vic, took the rig to an
empty parking lot and did donuts and ran it through puddles so I could see
where the tire marks of the trailer tracked in relation to the tire marks of
the car. ( you will find it best to practise making wide or hay wagon turns.
The trailer flattens the corner. Many an Airstream has kissed a post or tree
because the corner was taken too shallow)
I put up cardboard boxes and tried backing between the boxes, like I was
backing into a camp site. I also put them up and tried turning around them
so I got the feeling of how the trailer followed the car. Remember if you
turn too sharply, the corner of the car will come into contact with the
corner of the trailer. Not good for the aluminum or the no longer
manufactured tail lights of the 89 Crown Vic! (Experience speaking here!)
I found it really handy to have a set of FRS walkie talkies. My trophy wife
gets on one and tells me where to go. (BACK, BACK, LEFT, RIGHT, STOP) I have
learned to stop when she says stop and to let her direct me. (Male ego
thingy aside)
One of the most entertaining afternoons we had this winter was watching a
guy in Louisiana try to back his 5'er into a campsite. We told his wife, we
have walkie talkies so you can guide him. She smirked,  " He wants to do it
himself and I'm letting him!" And he did, eventually, after about 40
tries.Great fun.

Happy Trails
Sarge