Re: Am I Crazy now Re: [A/S] Eurovan vs. Sprinter vs. Rialta -3 different vehicles

Hello - we have a 2003 Weekender Eurovan. Here are some stats:

Horse Power(SAE) @ rpm: 201 @ 6200(150 KW @ 6200)
Max.torque, lbs. -ft. @ rpm: 181 @ 2500-5500 (245 Nm @ 2500-5500)
Curb Weight: 5,236 lb
Pay Load: 761 lb
Towing Capacity (w/elec brakes): 4,400 lbs

Mary Ann,
I think these specs speak for themselves. 201 hp @ 6200 rpm and 181 lbs ft
of torque is not much for a vehicle weighing 5,236 lbs. The load capacity is
only 761 lbs which amounts to about four adults and a bit of luggage. VW was
sued recently for over rating the tow capacity of their Touareg SUV which
showed it towing an Airstream. They voluntarily removed that ad on TV.
Granted, it was a much larger trailer than what you are looking for but
4,400 lb towing capacity is optimistic. You might want to go see U Haul and
rent a box trailer for a day and load it to a total of say 3000 lbs
(potential future trailer weight) + 750 lbs for luggage and tow it around
for a little while. You might be surprised to find how heavy it really
feels.
I'm not trying to advocate the need for a 3/4 ton truck for every tow
application but there are safe limits and believe it or not, the
manufacturers usually over rate their tow capacity.
Colin