[A/S] Re: Wheel Bearings [ Looonng! ]

Hi Nick,

Of course for those of you who have access to a torque wrench and
perhaps a dial indicator, the factory method is preferred. Most non-
gearheads however, won't have much more than a pair of pliers in the
tool box.

> I think
> this should be clarified, for the benefit of those with no previous
> experience of these procedures.IMHO Nick.

Here's the clarification on the adjustment: tighten the nut just
BARELY tighter than you can get it with your fingers. The reason I
add a tiny amount of preload to the bearing is that they usually
loosen up after you drive it more than a few miles and become just
right.

But perhaps I should clarify even more... too loose is better than
too tight. You don't want the wheel to clunk when you shake it, but
it should rotate freely when jacked up with tire on and brakes
adjusted correctly.

Jim
ASE Certified Master Mechanic
"Who's-never-burned-up-a-bearing-in-his-life-kinda-guy"
<grin>