Re: [A/S] Re: Wheel Bearings [ Looonng! ]

Over the years we have repacked bearings of coaches for which there are no
replacements seals. We use a nondestructive method to remove the old one.
After removing the outer bearing, reinstall the washer and the turn the nut
back on about 1/2-3/4 of the way. Grasp the hub/drum assembly on each side
and pull towards you. When you feel the inner bearing contact the washer,
push the drum away briefly and sharply pull it back toward you. Repeat if
necessary. This uses the whole bearing to apply even pressure to the seal
and pop it out. This method hasn't failed us yet. I myself use this method
every time simply because it is quicker than digging the old one out.

Charlie