[A/S] Re: Wheel Bearings [ Looonng! ]

In my humble opinion, this appears to me to be  contrary to the
instructions in my Airstream manual, the excellent Timken bearing
maintenance instructions website at
http://www.timken.com/products/bearings/techtips/tip5.asp, and my
practice for the last 40 years. End-float is generally required for
these bearings, and the amount of end-float is dictated by how much
you BACK-OFF the nut after tightening to the prescribed torque. I
don't claim to be an expert, but I'm just quoting authoritative
sources. I suspect that the described process could lead to
overheated bearings. I also check mine at all stops with an infra-red
thermometer, and follow the Airstream recommended procedure. I think
this should be clarified, for the benefit of those with no previous
experience of these procedures.IMHO Nick.