Re: [A/S] Tow Vehicle Damage--what now?

Did you call police?  Leaving the scene of an accident is a chargeable
offense. Also police will need to report on this incident so you can
clear your collision claim with the insurer. Also police officers are
trained to discover who perpetrated such a cowardly act and to lay
charges against them and get their liability insurance in on the
discussion.

>Besides shattering the back windshield (there goes a bundle), the rear
>bumper has been moved about 2 inches away from the frame on the side
>opposite the impact.
>
>The obvious question, of course, is what kind of damage has it done to the
>heavy duty receiver underneath.

If you have an insurer  involved , they will have an appraiser appointed
who will decide what needs to be replaced. (it doesn't hurt to be there
when he's inspecting your vehicle to ask how they are going to determine
whether your hitch/receiver is damaged. How are they going to guarantee
that damage it may have received in the accident is not going to lead to
your $80,000 A/S (also insured by them I presume O:-) ), heading off on
it's own into an oncomming lane, crashing through the fence around the
power plant and putting half of the continent on candle power or
something equally horrendous, for which they might just get a bill.

>So where would you go to have it looked at? (a) an auto body repair show,
>(b), the dealer we normally have it worked on at, or (c) the RV place we had
>the receiver and cabling installed?
>
>And why don't I think this is going to be cheap?

There has been lots of discussion on this type of situation on  this
group. Just make sure you look at what the adjuster/appraiser has to
suggest. I would even suggest saying to him/her that you want to think
about his offer and then consult your RV place and maybe the sages on
this group, before agreeing to anything. There is no law that says you
have to take the first offer or suggestion of repair/replacement.