Re: [A/S] Re: Generator -- Alternator vs Magneto??

George,

In a way, yes you are mixed up.  An automotive alternator produces
Alternating Current (AC) and an Automotive generator produces DC
Current.  The Auto Alternator changes the AC to DC internally through a set
of diodes so there is DC coming out of the unit.  The advantage to
alternators is that they produce higher charge currents at lower speeds.
Remember back to the pre mid sixties cars, when you were driving at night
and came to a stop the lights got real yellow, that is because they were
depending on the battery alone, a generator starts it's charging around
2000 RPM.  The downside to Alternators (and the upside to generators) is
that the alternator will not charge a dead battery, the field in the
alternator swaps places while the unit is running so there has to be a
source of voltage to start the unit.  The generator on the other hand has a
permanent magnet that provides the field.

The units we use to provide power to out trailers and motor homes are
improperly called generators.  Technically the should be called ac power
plants, but I don't see people changing their ways at this point.

Most small AC power plants run at 3600 RPM to produce 115 volts. This is
because 60 Hertz (cycles per second) times 60 seconds in a minute is 3600
hence the number of RPM require to get the right "frequency" so your
appliances will work correctly and at the right temperature. These units
are known as two pole alternators.

  Some higher end Power units run at 1800 RPM and still produce the correct
voltage and frequency, they have two additional poles to provide the extra
30 hertz.  These are 4 Pole units.

If I understand the small Honda and Yamaha power plants correctly, they are
small DC producing units that have an inverter circuit to provide AC.  That
would explain why they can run at slow speeds and still produce AC.

This is more than likely more than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps.

Mike