[A/S] Re: Where to begin

Paul:
I assume you are not talking new since you a refered to different
years.
You gave no indication if you are looking to buy newer used or
Vintage.  I am a Vintage member with a 1959 24ft Tradewind
International, and will share some of my experinces.
 I was lucky when I bought in that the interior was original (except
the fridge) and in good condition.  Here it is, the second unit
(9 photos)
http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives1/59Tradewind/59Tradewind.html
The interior that you see is pretty well the way I bought it.   The
upgrades that I did were added grey water tanks, changed all drain
piping from steel to ABS, new axle it was hydraulic brakes could have
converted to electric but I also wanted to raise the trailer about
3", refasted some belly pan, added some  more lights to back bumper.

As far as towing is concerned the older units are lighter, this unit
empty is 3,800# and I tow with a 1998 Z71 1500 - 350 with 3.73 gears
had a (1994 before)  I don't normally tow in OD and have had no
towing related problems. The 1994 pulled across the Canadian
Rockies.  In hills I watch the tachometer, not the speedo.  If it
gets down to 2000 rpm I shift down (auto trany).
If you buy Vintage be careful you can get addicted.  Don't expect to
buy an older unit and not have to do some upgrades.  Get lots of
advise and look them over good.  My Vintage friends have found that
when they contact a seller without seeing the trailer the unit
usually doesn't live up to the sellers claims.  A number of Vintage
members have told me this.   There are lots out there but you have to
look them over.  Also consider the climate where the trailer was, wet
coastal regions more prone to rotting.  Hot dry desserts, the sun
takes its toll in other ways.
I have rambled on long enough.

Lauren WBCCI  # 7532   VAC   1959 Tradewind International