Re: [A/S] Digest Number 1368

Conrad and Trisha,

I had a similar problem with my home furnace a while back and I dug out the
manual on the 1125TG from our 68 Overlander to see if the furnace functions
were similar and the are.  The problem is probably the air circulating fan
is coming on too soon.  My 1125 manual shows the following sequences.

When lighting the furnace, holding down the thermocouple override switch
will also starts the fan to clear the firebox of propane vapor prior to
lighting the pilot.  Once the pilot is lit and the thermocouple come up to
temperature, and the override is released, the fan stops and the pilot
continues to burn.  The exhaust gases are expelled via the convection
process.

When the thermostat calls for heat, it opens the main gas valve and the main
burner lights.  When the heat exchanger reaches a predetermined temperature,
a sensor turns on the fan to circulates the hot air through the coach.  When
the thermostat is satisfied, it shuts the main burner off.  The fan will
continue to run until the heat exchanger cools to about 100 degrees and then
it will shut off .

If the fan comes on too soon, before the heat exchanger comes up to
temperature, it will blow cool air.  Because the fan removes heat from the
exchanger almost as fast as the burner can supply it, the output air will
feel only slightly warmer than the ambient air and it will take a long time
for the coach to warm up.

If the furnace in you AS has a similar sequence, I suspect the sensor in
your furnace that controls the fan is turning on too soon.  You might try
running this little check.  Start when the furnace main burner has been off
for a while (cool heat exchanger).  Adjust the thermostat to call for heat
and note the time between the main burner lighting and the circulating fan
coming on.  I would expect a delay of at least a minute or two.  If the fan
comes on sooner, that’s the reason for the cool air.  Perhaps someone with a
similar furnace could run this check and give you an idea of the typical
delay time.

Don (MI)