Re: [A/S] Light Truck Diesel Engine Exhaust Brakes

Fortunately, the log haulers only pass in front of my residence in the
daytime.  Since the speed is reduced to 35 from 55, I hear the racket.  Not
over the sound of my TV or lawn mower. :)  However, while I was at a friends
house in Sterling, VA (where one of the signs is posted) the sound of the
brakes on the large trucks made carrying on a normal conversation inside the
closed up house nearly impossible.  Yep, Harvey, you must have passed right
by me! :)  This racket overwhelms the medium height sound reflection walls.
And, this is a totally residential area where large trucks pass through to
save time and destroy the local roads! :(  There are adequate alternate
roads in the area for large truck traffic, but it's slow as you might guess
in the Washington, DC suburbs.

The lubrication system in my puller provides pressurized oil from the
turbocharger  backpressure warm-up system to control the exhaust back
pressure actuator.  (Not an exact quote from the Owner's Guide Supplement
for the 7.3 L Power Stroke Direct Injection Turbo Diesel).  In another
section of the manual, "Cold Weather Operation", It states that the sound of
the idle speed will change as an exhaust device engages to improve heater
performance and reduce exhaust smoke.  Couldn't find other info on starting
where the starting is computer learned.  Might have been in the gas manual
and my .  .  .

Guess I answered my question about fuel additives for cold weather diesel.
The manual says not to do it as there might be injector damage.  Also,
recommends keeping the tank 3/4 full and only purchasing fuel from high
volume sources where the formulation would be changed to meet the season's
needs.  I got my last fill up at a desperation stop in the boonies. :(

If only it were so simple to work up loads for my Ruger Bisley Vaquero 45
LC!  Protection for the Safari, don't ya' know. :)

Have I learned a lot tonight.  Yes siree,

                                             '69 Safari, Joy