Re: [A/S] Results from Service.

     That's basically correct - the air cools down to the dew point
and, since air has a low heat capacity, it doesn't take a lot of work
to do that.  Then, the AC must pump in the "heat of sublimation" (I
think that's what it's called) to condense the moisture.  That
reduces the dew point, and you cool down to that new temp, and have
to remove more moisture.  Of course, this does not happen in jerks
like I've described - it's a continuous process.  But, the net result
is that condensing the moisture in the air causes an effective
increase in the heat capacity, i.e., in the work the AC has to do to
cool your air.
     But, that's not the end of the story.  In some ACs, the cooled
condensate is sprayed back onto the rooftop heat exchanger, making it
look like a the high-temperature end of the refrigeration heat cycle
has become a lower one.  This makes for more efficient use of the
energy your AC is expending (think of getting a garden hose and
spraying the rooftop heat exchanger.  That will definitely cool the
HT reservoir, and your water bill will go up a bit.
     I was not aware that our ACs were rated for only 15 or 20 degree
differential, but it's not surprising.  Hunter's solution - move
somewhere where it's more comfortable - is the only way around the
thermodynamics.

- Dick
(5368)