[A/S] trailer plates

ok, i know this will seem like a dumb question, but here goes:
because things havn't been promising locally, at some point we will
go "shopping" for our new old airstream -- probably we will take the
van, with tow hitch, and with all the current ads we can find,
combine airstream shopping with our vacation, usually cross-country --
 question is, when we find the one we want, how do we tow it home
without current registration??  i really dont want to believe i'd
have to drive all the way back home to the dmv for plates, then all
the way back to get the trailer. -- any one hear of a solution to
this?? -- thanks, bob adams