Re: [A/S] Chevy Transmissions for Towing -Continuing the Discussion

Wow, isn't that something.  I guess the real key in
staying in 3rd is to keep the transmission from
hunting back and forth from drive to 3rd which I have
been told creates excessive heat.  Maybe you need to
direct this issue to GM and their customer service
line.  I've seen lots of situations where GM has done
a rethink and changed operating instructions after the
manual has been published.

If I were in your shoes I would use 3rd.  Based on the
manual on my 88 Chevy and 91 Astro Vans (each of which
said use 3rd) I would wonder whether that paragraph in
yours may be a typo.

Jack Canavera
STL Mo.