Re: [A/S] Brake Controllers (Again)

Tuna,

Although I am unquestionably sold on the old-fashioned K-H
hydraulic-electric controllers, if you have difficulty locating one or
decide it is too impractical to switch the controller back and forth between
two tow vehicles, my recommendation would be to purchase and install an
electric-electric non-pendulum controller like the one Kelsey-Hayes offers.
That controller is not subject to increased or decreased braking caused when
your tow vehicle is on an up or downgrade and other variances such as
charging voltage(?).  It uses a simple electronic ramp circuit.  When the
brake light is energized by the brake pedal trailer braking is initiated and
slowly increases at a rate controlled by time and the gain setting.  These
simple controllers work fairly well for most people.  The only drawback is
if your desire is to stop slowly and gently, trailer braking slowly
increases until your trailer brakes are applied more firmly than you may
desire.  The "ramp" circuit can be reset by releasing then reapplying the
brakes.

Switching the controller back and forth between tow vehicles would be
possible if you could locate hydraulic fittings that would close when the
controller was removed but otherwise you would have to bleed the brakes each
time you shifted.  My new (old) K-H controller cost less than $60 which
would still be a bargain if you could locate two.

Also, when towing lighter trailers the K-H controller works too well.  It
will apply excessive braking unless you also install a compatible adjustable
resistor in the 12vdc source line.  Years ago every K-H brake controller
installation included a firewall mounted Bakelite pad with an open wire
resistor that looked similar to an old-fashioned screen door spring bent
into a "u" shape with a sliding clamp that electrically bypassed a portion
of the resistor to select just the correct amount of braking for each
application.  They are also difficult to locate these days.  A list friend
found one for me in Southern California.  I haven't installed it yet because
it is not needed when towing a heavy 31' or 34' A/S but I towed a utility
trailer carrying a lawn tractor over the weekend and found I had excessive
braking for a light trailer with brakes on only one axle.

In no case would I buy or ever use again the poorly designed pendulum
controller.  (Probably a good idea but the actual application falls short)
Apparently the introduction of ABS brakes on tow vehicles occurred about the
same time as the proliferation of personal injury and product liability
lawyers in the USA and auto/truck manufacturers, uncertain about anything
added on after manufacture, began officially recommending that
hydraulic-electric controllers not be used.  Chevrolet may be the only
manufacturer that will officially say in writing that hydraulic-electric
controllers can be used with its products.  Most RV dealers now have parts
and service managers who are younger and have no experience with the old
style K-H controllers and truly believe that they cannot be safely used.
They are mistaken.

Having thoroughly criticized Tekonsha's products, I will say that the
company was very cordial and helpful when I called to complain about their
controller.  The first time I called, several years ago, the customer
service rep immediately offered me a free replacement for my already out of
warranty controller.  The second time I called the technical representative
helpfully gave me instructions on replacing the "undersized" ground return
wire in my Ford factory towing harness from the controller to battery with a
larger gauge wire.  Neither an identical replacement controller or heavier
gauge ground wire improved the situation but Tekonsha employees were very
helpful.............they just have a bad product to offer.

All of this is only my opinion of course.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC