[A/S] Brake Controllers (Again)

Some of you will remember a list discussion concerning the performance of
the various types of brake controllers a couple months ago.  The discussion
lasted over a several day period.

I started the discussion by asking if others were as dissatisfied as I was
with a Tekonsha pendulum type inertia sensing electric-electric controller.
Many opinions were expressed but the conclusion that I derived from the
discussion was generally that the inertia sensing controllers apparently
worked adequately with trailers of moderate weight but owners of 34'er or
others heavy A/Ss who commented seemed nearly unanimous that pendulum type
controllers did not work very well for their applications and they had
shifted to other controllers.  The reason seemed to be that the truck brakes
alone were not capable of providing the initial rapid deceleration required
to inactivate trailer brakes unless the controller's gain adjustment was
cranked up and then, if the gain was adjusted high, moderate or light stops
produced uncontrolled and extremely annoying jerking.  Unsatisfactory to say
the least!!

Motivated by that discussion and testimonials from several who still used or
had reverted back to the tried and trusted old fashioned hydraulic-electric
controllers,  I purchased and installed a new old stock Kelsey-Hayes
hydraulic-electric controller in my faithful old '94 Ford F250HD with rear
ABS.  The installation was made as recommended by K-H (now Hayes
International) using a high quality tee fitting installed downstream of the
brake master cylinder in the rear brake line and a length of steel brake
tubing from tee to controller (provided with the controller).

I was using the K-H hydraulic-electric controller during the recent 14 state
4500 mile towing journey to attend the Cherry Blossom Rally on the Rogers'
farm near DC.

I am pleased to be able to report that the old-fashioned brake controller
worked in an outstanding manner over all types of terrain from flat to steep
grades providing precisely coordinated and modulated braking whether easing
to a slow stop or in one near panic stop when congested traffic suddenly
became a parking lot near Columbus, OH.  Using the Tekonsha pendulum
controller that I tolerated but hated for almost seven years and 50k towing
miles I would have rear ended the truck in front of me in the aforementioned
near panic stop situation just described.  I can now tow a heavy trailer
with relaxed confidence secure in the knowledge that the loaded truck and
loaded trailer will stop with as much finesse and control or as quickly when
needed as the unloaded truck running solo.  Maybe even quicker!

Sadly, it seems that Hayes no longer manufactures the wonderful old
hydraulic-electric controllers.   My local SOB RV dealer had three old units
in stock and between myself and two list friends who wrote off-list to
inquire of my source, they are now all gone.  However, if you can locate
one, I strongly recommend them.  My braking aggravations are now history.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC