[A/S] Re: Care and Feeding of a Clearcote finish.

Charlie,

I concur with others that your `History of A/S Clearcoat' was
very informative. Concerning some of the things you said, I would
like to ask some questions:

<<.... " when they started it was because an Airstream owner of that
time was expected to deoxidize, polish and wax his coach at least
twice a year." >>

I assume this is still true for those who have `polished' early
model trailers?

<< . . . Finally in late 96 the finish stabilized. >>

Does this mean that the clearcoat that I would apply if I had my 1990
Excella re-clearcoated at an A/S dealer would be the `final'1996
formulation? Are other independents, i.e. P & S Trailer Service,
likely to use this formulation?

<< . . . In the 80's a second version of Walbernize, a sealer and
glaze, was found to significantly slow the loss of the flex agent in
clearcote, greatly extending it's service life. With the new finish
the Walbernize Sealer and Glaze remains a good choice along with
other good quality non-abrasive automotive products.>>

So the best method of restoring an 80s or 90s finish would be to
re-clearcoat with the latest formula then maintain it regularly with
Walbernize. With regular good care and maintenance what is the
average life expectancy of a newly applied finish?

<<The fine print on virtually all automotive finish product warns
specifically against using household detergents on their products.
The reason being the household products typically contain ammonia
which is very hard on their finish product's durability.>>

What about Hunters favorite, `Dawn'? Is it OK?

Thanks,
John H.