Re: [A/S] Re: Care and Feeding of a Clearcote finish.

> <<.... " when they started it was because an Airstream owner of that
> time was expected to deoxidize, polish and wax his coach at least
> twice a year." >>
>
> I assume this is still true for those who have `polished' early
> model trailers?

Unless they have it clearcoted or use one of the newer aircraft polishing
systems out there, yes

> << . . . Finally in late 96 the finish stabilized. >>
>
> Does this mean that the clearcoat that I would apply if I had my 1990
> Excella re-clearcoated at an A/S dealer would be the `final'1996
> formulation? Are other independents, i.e. P & S Trailer Service,
> likely to use this formulation?

The only product available from Airstream has been changed from the
formula used in 96-97, early 98. Since then the EPA laid down the law and
the product has been reformulated to reduce VOC's (volatile organic
compounds). We have continued to use the low VOC formula with good short
term results.

> << . . . In the 80's a second version of Walbernize, a sealer and
> glaze, was found to significantly slow the loss of the flex agent in
> clearcote, greatly extending it's service life. With the new finish
> the Walbernize Sealer and Glaze remains a good choice along with
> other good quality non-abrasive automotive products.>>
>
> So the best method of restoring an 80s or 90s finish would be to
> re-clearcoat with the latest formula then maintain it regularly with
> Walbernize. With regular good care and maintenance what is the
> average life expectancy of a newly applied finish?

Yes. Depending where the coach is and how it is stored. Southern
locations not stored under cover being the worst case. 3-5 years is not
unreasonable. There was a gentleman on the VAC some time ago claimed his
finish was unblemished after 10 years. A couple of years ago we had a
couple trade in a MINT condition 1976 with the original finish on it. The
only peel was on one top center segment. The rest, mint.

> <<The fine print on virtually all automotive finish product warns
> specifically against using household detergents on their products.
> The reason being the household products typically contain ammonia
> which is very hard on their finish product's durability.>>
>
> What about Hunters favorite, `Dawn'? Is it OK?

I don't have a bottle to check the ingredients, but if it has ammonia,
then the answer is no. If you can't be sure stick with a product that is
advertised as an automotive finish soap, like Mequires.

Charlie
61 Bambi
75 Argosy