Re: [A/S] AS and HAM usage

Mike,

Ham Radio is quite different from CB, in that there are thousands of
frequencies that can be used, more power can be put to the antenna, and
conversations can be held with other hams at long distances.

The most common mobile units are VHF/UHF, putting out about 50 watts or
so, and contacts are generally made through repeaters that enhance the
range.  While on the road, you can set up a simplex frequency for
caravanning, but that requires that all participants be licensed.  Once
while driving from Phoenix to Iowa City, IA, I used VHF to just chat
with other hams along the way, and only had two instances where I
couldn't get anyone to respond.  That was a good trip.

I have VHF, UHF and HF rigs mounted on a center console in the pickup,
and the rigs are simple to move into the A/S if I want to.  I also have
a rarely used CB unit that's just for travel....when I think I can stand
the garbage that's transmitted on that band.

Getting a license is quite simple.  To operate on VHF/UHF all you need
is to pass the written exams.  If you want to operate on HF, just pass
an easy 5 word-per-minute code exam.

It's surprising what you can hear, and it's a good way to pass the time
on some lonesome roads.  Couple of years ago, while cruising around the
Monument Valley and Four Corners area, I made contact with hams in
Spain, Italy and South Africa on sideband.  Once I told them where I
was, they had lots of questions, and wanted commentary on what I was
seeing.  Lots of fun that day.

Look into it....I think you'll find it worthwhile.

Roger.....LCDR, USN (Ret)
--
Roger Hightower
1975 31' Sovereign....WBCCI 4165....VAC