Re: [a/s] Propane tanks

I've seen a wide range of, er, competence in that activity.

Many of them err in the other direction, on the side of excessive caution.  The
tank (ASME built-in tank) on my 1978 Argosy MH has 1) an OPD valve (float valve)
which shuts off the flow at 80% full; 2) a bleed valve which discharges liquid
(not vapor or mist) at that same level; and 3) a gauge which indicates "F"
(full) at 80%.  All of these devices work correctly.  Too often the person doing
the filling will stop at the 3/4 mark (which indicates 3/4 of 80%, not 3/4 of
the whole tank) thinking that 75% is as good as 80%.  Then I go away with a
short fill and have to come back into "civilization" for more propane a day
earlier than I had planned.

Or they will stop when the first white mist comes out of the vent (which happens
even before the 3/4 mark if they are filling very fast).

I have by now seen enough filling operations to know that a) clear liquid (not
mist) comes out of the vent when the tank is actually filled to the 80% level;
and b) the OPD shutoff valve actually does work and cuts off the flow at 80%
fill, as indicated by the gauge as well as by the bleed valve vent.  Only once
in a blue moon, however, does the tank actually get filled to that level.  It
has never, ever, been filled to the point of actuating the overpressure relief
valve.

John

Susi and John Burchard
Tepe Gawra Salukis