[a/s] A/S Polish

Bearcat:

         I think there is a mis-understanding going on here - of course, it
might be me who's mis-understaning your post.
         When people are talking about *polishing* their AS using a buffer,
they usually are taking about stripping the clearcoat, then polishing with
a series of abrasives, then buffing to a fine polish - a mirror
finish.  Then, depending on preferences, they either do or don't have their
trailer re-coated with the plasticoat.  There are services out there that
will do this really nasty, hard, work for you for about $100-$150/foot of
trailer.
         When people speak of *cleaning* their trailer, they usually mean
using washing with a mild detergent, then using something like the
appropriate Walbernize (there are two - one for trailers with clearcoat or
trailers that have been re-coated, and another for trailers without any
clearcoat).
         In no case, so far as I can tell, are they speaking of using any
abrasive or caustic material on the clearcoat; I'd doubt that using a
caustic on the bare aluminum would be acceptable.  As you point out, that's
a formula for disaster, and a lot of work trying to rectify the mistake.

- Dick
(5368)