Re: [a/s] overdrive

To Peter Kaiser and others,

Pete,

This is my first entrance onto this web site so hopefully this message will
reach you.  I purchased a 1971 23 foot Safari last year and am interested in
the fact that you are pulling your 29 foot Excella with a Crown Vic.  While
viewing a VCR tape advertising the Hensley Arrow I noted that many of the
shots showed what looked to be of a 31 foot or larger Airstream with a Town
Car.  I have been told that the two vehicles share a common drive train.  In
my part of the country about the only tow vehicles I see are pick ups,
Suburbans,  or the occasional van.  I don't recall ever seeing a passenger
car being used for anything larger than a fold out.

Are you satisfied with using the Crown Vic?   Do you use a standard
equalizer type hitch or some other?

I currently use a six cylinder Dodge Dakota extended cab with an equalizer
type hitch.  This is my first trailer so I have no basis of comparison but I
am comfortable with the lateral stability of the rig.  I always tow with the
overdrive off.  As you can imagine, that is a necessity with the six.
Interstate hills have been no problem in Oklahoma and Texas although the
climb around the Big Bend, Texas put me into LOW for about a quater mile.  I
can see a v-8 in my future and thought about a passenger car rather than
another pick up.  I can also see as retirement comes around in a few years
that a lager Airstream will be needed.  Any ideas as to maximum safe size
trailer for something like the Crown Vic.

Hope to hear from some of you guys.  If you see a Safari with an Oklahoma
plate that says   "TWO 2 GO"  that's us.

Thanks,

Bill Deering