[VACList] Re: Custom innerspring mattress source (was: Re: Plumbing in 54 FC)

Hi, Patti,

> 3. Anyone know where I can order an innerspring mattress to size for
> the rear double bed?

There are apparently local mattress manufacturers around the country who
will make anything you want.

Don't know where you are located, but we got a superb Airstream-shaped
mattress for our 1960 Pacer from the Sleep Tite Mattress Factory, 111
Wells Bridge Road, Franklin, OH  45005  (937) 746-2556
www.sleeptite.org  [Note the .org, not .com] (They are located just 30
or 40 miles down the road from us.)

Our experience with Sleep Tite was interesting.   When we took in our
original mattress the fellow commented, "This is a really good
mattress!  What did it come out of?"  When we told him a 1960 Airstream,
he said, "Guess that explains it."  He commented that they make a lot of
replacement mattresses for _new_ RVs because so many of them come from
the factory with cheap ones.

The Pacer double bed mattress has one corner rounded off to match the
curvature of the shell and wouldn't seem to be an easy one to make, but
they said no problem.  Their charge was the price of a standard mattress
of equivalent quality and the next larger size (to cut down) plus $75
for a custom.

They recommended their top quality mattress to equal the original
quality (a little salesmanship, here), and we agreed.  T'warnt cheap
(Around $475, if I remember correctly) but it's a wonderful mattress.

The only caveat is that I would recommend finding someone within driving
range, as shipping would be expensive and the job may take some
fitting.  Sleep Tite went through three iterations before they got the
curved part to fit. (Their philosophy seems to be, when in doubt make it
a little too big rather than a little too small, as they have "taking
off" tools but no "adding on" tools.)  I have to believe they lost money
on the job, but they were cheerful and helpful at every stage--real
pros.

Your best bet might be to Airstream over to the mattress factory and let
them have the trailer for the duration.  Sleep Tite had our mattress
ready in just a couple of days.

Best regards,
John & Barbara Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587