[VACList] Re: Made Up Beds

Huff, I will give you a different view from those I read in response to you
"already made up beds".  I have had two 24' Tradewinds and now have a 1975
31' International.  In the 1961 Tradewind, I removed the across the front
sofa and installed a double bed (regular size).  It was great for sleeping
but we had to use portable tables with the side sofa (gaucho) to eat and not
good for relaxing.  The present 1975 International had twin beds in the rear
bedroom.  We found ours to not be comfortable, hard to keep warm against the
wall on a cold camping night, and hard to make up (or course not every one's
view).  I removed the twin beds and put in a regular size double bed which
stays made up.  I simply used a standard metal bed frame, on rollers, and
lashed it to the floor so it doesn't roll around during travel.  We lost the
nightstand and the storage under the twin beds, but we can live with that.
The tradewinds were great, but the extra room and convenience of the 1975
are even better, ie:  black & gray water tanks, removed sofa and put in
platorm rockers.  Like others, I don't find the quality of the food years to
be too bad.  Perhaps the best part is the reasonable price of the older
trailers, they are replaceable without selling the farm.  Last, you voiced
objection to buying a trailer which would require a diesel tow vehicle.  I
have a diesel, by choice, but would be happy with a gas tow vehicle and in
my view, the additional space (24' vs 31') is worth the adjustments of
towing 7 more feet.  Ned Digh