[VAC] Re: Spare tire

Thanks Jim,

I really wanted the 3/4 inch scab under the seam for the new to old floor,
but 1/4 inch might have to do the job.  Under the bathroom floor where the
holding tank wouldn't allow thick scabs, I used galvanized metal to limit
the thickness.  Still, I'm a bit worried about the water tank up front as
it's flexible and will weigh about 150 pounds or so when filled.  I'll just
go ahead and remove the aluminum and work from there.

> shop guys were working on finding where they had run a screw into the
wiring
> harness and messed up the tail lights..I have noticed that the wiring to
my

Your wiring harness must be quite different than mine.  Only the break
away/electric jack wires run through the frame in the area of the spare
tire.  The wiring from the pigtail recepticle are routed up through the
window style to the area behind the control pannel.  The electric brake wire
routes directly to the curb side and through the floor into a separate frame
rail.  It is joined by the battery power  and a multiconductor cable.  I
know that these join the break away positive somewhere within the belly pan.
Removing more of the belly pan is next in priority.

My assumption is that the break away when activated routes power to the
electric brakes, so the power line to the tongue jack (yellow) must connect
to the trailer battery (red).  Haven't found anything that would have an
effect on the tail lights with my '69 Safari.

> No..( I am guessing screws, memory seems to think I saw holes for screws
in
> the short pieces that would hang down).... but I will crawl under there
> tomorrow and try to determine what they did...The 78 frame that I have is

I see the bolts, one for each bracket, through the aluminum and they must
anchor into the cross frame member.  It seems that the previous owner of my
unit put the rug into the excess space above the spare without realizing
that the tire holder was dropping!  I'm confident from your observation that
I have extensive rust damage to the cross frame mounting points. :(

The aluminum surround in the spare tire area is folded and pop riveted.
Could be factory or after market.  I do think it has had some maintenance
after the original installation as different types of fasteners.  Some were
steel pop rivets - almost impossible to drill out, others were aluminum, and
others yet were sheet metal screws.

> The kit as it comes from the factory may have more parts than were
included
> in the kit used on mine.  There were no aluminum sheets supplied and it
was

Sounds like they did a good job of making the installation.

> I think the tire is just pinched between the installed frame and the
> underside of the floor, but I will look for a hold down... I have not
> removed the tire since the carrier was installed....I did give it a whack
> see if it was loose in the carrier and it seemed nice and tight...

The spare seems to be very heavy, at least 50#s.  The tire I removed is very
stiff and I don't think just kicking it would make it move.  Besides, I have
tender toes!  :)

> The need for good sealing should be apparent ... My street side wheel well
> leaked badly when I ran in standing water... I had the shop seal up both

I was observing that the sealing of the surround aluminum in what I'll call
the "spare tire well" isn't something that would be observed by the owner.
I agree with your observation of the wheel well maintenance and I'll include
the the "step well" under the door.

> Another suggestion would be a call to Airstream and ask for an
installation
> sheet for the kit...Here is hoping that one of the shops that have
installed
> this kit might jump in and give us some help...

I'm still trying to find out what adhesive is used for the bathroom panels
to fasten the plywood backing.  With two questions for the A/S people, I
might get answers. :)

> I don't have a digital camera, but if you think pictures would help, tell
me
> what you want to see and I will try to email them directly to you....-- it
> might take a little while, there is still some snow on the ground....

I use a digital camera to document the restoration of my Safari.  My son
purchased the camera for me and I've totally abandoned the film type.  Sure
helps me explain what I need for restoration as I can't explain things as
intellegently as most.

> Even with the potential for leaks, I really like the way the tire is out
of
> the way and still ready for use...

It is out of the way.  Not so with the spare tire on my van as I had to
remove it and carry it in the trailer for my first trip home.  I purchased
the Hensley hitch and it is supposed to give me an additional foot clearance
between between the trailer and my tow vehicle.  Given the unique vintage
tire size, I think, it might be possible to carry the trailer spare in place
of the van spare.  Naw, since I'm pressing the limit of my tow vehicle, I
think I need a spare tire.  Though I try to keep proper inflation pressure
in the tires, I've had several tire failures - long trip, hot weather, high
speed, old tire related.

Yes, I do get a great deal of personal satisfaction of successful
restoration projects with the Safari.  I won't crawl under the trailer in
the snow or rain as that would dampen my pleasure! :)  It's raining here in
Southern Virginia and the snow/ice/sleet/rain/drizzle is expected to last
until Wednesday.  Three days without real work in the Safari makes for very
dull days.  Don't sweat looking under your unit if your snow on the ground
is combined with this kind of weather.

Wouldn't it be nice to be in Florida, Southern California or other
relatively sunny and warm place to work on trailers?

                                               Regards,  Joy