[VAC] Re: Spare tire

>>Your wiring harness must be quite different than mine.  Only the break
away/electric jack wires run through the frame in the area of the spare
tire.  The wiring from the pigtail recepticle are routed up through the
window style to the area behind the control pannel.  The electric brake wire
routes directly to the curb side and through the floor into a separate frame
rail.  It is joined by the battery power  and a multiconductor cable.  I
know that these join the break away positive somewhere within the belly pan.
Removing more of the belly pan is next in priority.<< Snip

What 6 months will do... my short could have been in the breaks, they were
working on the new brakes when I arrived and they were looking for the
short... I think the lights were my imagination.....

>>My assumption is that the break away when activated routes power to the
electric brakes, so the power line to the tongue jack (yellow) must connect
to the trailer battery (red).  Haven't found anything that would have an
effect on the tail lights with my '69 Safari.<<  Snip

I know my jack is wired directly to the battery, but the ground side of the
battery is through a connector in the battery box.  I have disconnected the
battery shoving it into the box and my test for the connector is to try the
jack...I am sure that if I had driven away with the connector open the
breakaway switch would have failed to function... ( no ground on the
battery..)  I know that the lights work on the univolt with the connector
open so you don't see the problem that way until you unplug the trailer from
shore power.....

Have fun....

Jim