[VAC] Re: Spare tire

Robert / Susan

I would always carry a spare tire, especially with a single axle trailer
like yours (and mine).

I have heard absolutely no complaints from people who carry the spare tire
on the tongue. But some trailers do not have enough tongue space to enable
the spare tire to be carried there.

Some people, myself included, have a trailer with the spare mounted on the
rear bumper. It was ordered from the factory this way. Because of this, my
trailer has marginal tongue weight. In order to compensate I must carry a
full tank of water (located across the front of the trailer).

If you choose to go the rear bumper route, have your trailer weighed after
installation. Make sure the tongue has 10 to 15% of the total trailer's
weight on it. Also make sure the carrier is very sturdy. I got to see one
fail last summer. After the initial shock, it was quite funny to see a tire
repeatedly bounce 20 feet into the air, then roll a quarter mile down the
road. But that was only because no one was hurt. It easily could have killed
someone.

I have heard from people who have had a spare mounded under the front of the
trailer, that it would get in the way of leveling when the front end needed
to be low to the ground.

If I did not already have a spare mounted on the bumper, I would just carry
it in the tow vehicle, unless I had room on the tongue (which I don't).

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander (26 foot)