[VAC] Re: Tekonsha Brake Controllers

The PENDULUM!  That's the secret!   Figure out how the controller senses the
pendulum position. Put the pedal pressure sensor on that circuit so when you
push the brake pedal it would be equivalent to the pendulum swinging forward
which would put the brakes on more.    I think I'll have the brake
controller apart one of these days to see how it works.   I'm tired of
hearing my wife yell, "What are you DOING ???" when the stupid pendulum
swings forward when I hit a pothole while stopping. It sure wakes anyone up
who's sleeping in the back seat!  I've never been happy with it that way.
So, if I break my brake controller, I won't be too sad!

I saw the inside of my "antique" hydraulic brake controller. I think it's
mid-1960's vintage. It's very simple on the inside ...just a rheostat made
up of wire windings and a piston of some sort that pushes a metal contact
against the coil. Simple yet effective. I installed it on my 1968 Dodge
Polara and it looks like it belongs there!  It works a lot smoother than the
modern electronic control but I miss the little red LED light that tells me
it's working!

We live in hill country here.. Good brakes are essential. Deficiencies
become painfully apparent after descending a mile long 10 percent grade.
Anything I can do to improve the brakes on my car or the trailer is on my
priority list!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer