[VAC] Re: Tekonsha Brake Controllers

I think any practical modern sensor of pedal pressure would have just
enough output for some electronics to control the brake current. The
advantage of some electronics is that its easy to proportion the brake
action, no harder than setting the volume control on the radio. I think
it should be easier than sensing a pendulum. No more difficult than the
fixed slope controllers.

I think all modern brake controllers are electronic with a transistor
carrying the current. The older vintage hydraulic controllers were very
simple, a piston moved a wiper arm on a power rheostat. Maximum braking
was set by a fixed resistor in the brake wire. So a pressure sensor
could be very low power too. I recall some that are made like thin
sheets of plastic. I don't know how rugged they are. I'm sure I could
find out.

Right now I'm satisfied with the manual control. I do tap it
occasionally to feel the trailer brakes doing the work. Makes me feel
good and confirms that the cable hasn't broken or the plug fallen out.

Gerald J.