Re: [VAC] Mid-Cities Honda Generator Models

My second regulator (built about 1976) used the 723, which I don't think
needs the pulse width modulator of the 555, if treated properly. And
using the internal zener to drop the voltage in the pass transistor
drive circuit is not proper, that over heats the 723. I'm not a real fan
of the 723, its getting kind of old and is a little touchy to apply, but
it definitely works. Precision in voltage regulation, far better than
SAE standards is what leads to longer battery life, matching the voltage
to the full charge SG does more for that longer battery life. The Home
Power circuit has an excess number of adjustments for my taste. In the
long run they lead to equipment failures, especially out in the boonies
where they go undetected until they do damage. I'd prefer to see fixed
resistors instead of potentiometers, with maybe a switch to select the
equalizing charge, even if that means hand selecting the resistors. The
battery life can be impaired if the regulator doesn't have as long a
life and many of the modern potentiometers won't have that long a life
outdoors on a vibrating platform of an alternator run by a single
cylinder engine. I've been designing electronics for nearly 40 years so
I do have some experience in the field.

However, the ordinary automotive regulator can sometimes accidentally do
a decent regulation job and is far more accessible to the backyard
camper than the custom regulator and is far better than no regulator at
all on the put put.

Gerald J. (Also K0CQ)