Re: [VAC] bias ply vs radials

Joe,

Les Schwab Tires is a very large and good tire store chain out here on the
west coast. I have a single axle equipment trailer that has bias ply and on
the Interstate during the summer months the tires would get very warm as I
was maxed out weight wise. The tire fellows said that as long as the tow rig
was running radials that I could run them on the single axle trailer and
that they would run much cooler. They were right and I've been using this
combination for around six years now.

On my 1962 Airstream Bambi I run Toyo Z-800 Plus radials. Have been for five
years under some pretty extreem conditions. They have performed just
excellent. Rough back roads, hot summer desert Interstates and high cross
winds, all with no problems at all. They are mounted on 60's style American
aluminum mags as well. I went from 13" to 14" rims on this rig as this gives
more load rating.

On my 1972 31ft Sovereign International I also have radials and this unit
tows just great as well. Again, my Suburban has radials on it. It is very
important for the tow rig to run radials along with the trailer. This is for
stability reasons.

Need to be very careful on the trailer's wheel well clearance as radials run
different widths than bias. Get a high load rating on the tires as well. I
recommend taking the trailer to a good tire store and let then size and try
out the tires for size.

Good luck!!

Pat