Re: [VAC] No more Lurking- New Owner

Greetings Don and Nancy!

Welcome to the list.  I am sure that you will enjoy your '59 Safari.
You speak of concern about your trailer's running gear.  There are
several issues at work here.

1.)  Tires and wheels.  Assuming that the wheels are likely original to
the trailer, there are two concerns.  First, if the wheels are of
split-rim design - - the usual wisdom is replacement as the tire shops
who are willing to work on these old style wheels are few and far
between - - and there is a danger to the owner who might be reinflating
a very low tire.  Even if the wheels are not of split-rim design,
replacement may be necessary to accommodate tubeless let alone radial
tires.  Something to be aware of when looking for wheels as well as
tires - - not all wheels or tires of the same size have the same weight
carrying capacity.  The safest method to acquire wheels of the proper
weight carrying ability is to purchase new wheels from a tire dealer who
has access to trailer wheels which are designed for specific loading
conditions.  While wheels from light-duty trucks may fit - - the load
carrying capacity may be lacking - - there were a number of GM
light-duty trucks in the late 1980's that weren't rated for towing
trailers because their styled wheels couldn't take the additional load.
Tires for the wheels should carry a weight rating in excess of what you
expect your trailer to weigh when road ready, and the tires should carry
the ST designation which means the tire has been designed to meet the
unique operational characteristics of a trailer.  If possible, having
the tire dealer measure, fit and install the tires/wheels is a safeguard
- - if anything is not properly sized the dealer was directly involved
in the selection and is much more likely to be of assistance in arriving
at a solution.

2.)  Bearings and brakes.  Repacking the bearings should be considered
essential.  Replacement may be necessary, but inspection of the bearing
assemblies/races should disclose need for replacement.  I am not sure
when the changeover date was, but at some time during the 1950's some of
the single axle Airstreams had hydraulic surge brakes.  If your Safari
has this type of brake system, you may have difficulty registering it in
some localities.  If your rig has the more standard Kelsey Hayes
electric brakes, you will have a number of rebuilding/replacement
options.  I recently opted for a complete rebuild of the Kelsey Hayes
units on my Overlander using "fully loaded backing plates".  Fully
loaded backing plates are factory matched complete braking assemblies
that in clude all hardware - - magnets, shoes, springs, retainers, etc.
- - they are an economical means of insuring compatibility of all parts
- - and are available from most trailer and/or RV supply outlets.

3.)  While you are checking out the running gear, you might want to
examine the shock absorbers if your rig is so equipped  - - all
Airstreams had shock absorbers by at least 1961 - - I am not sure prior
to that time.

4.)  Be prepared to handle some rewiring of the trailer running light
umbilical cord.  Airstream used a non-standard wiring schematic, and the
plug on your trailer is unlikely to mate up with a more modern tow
vehicle.  The simplest remedy may be to obtain the cable end that
matches the receiver on your tow vehicle so that it can be wired to the
trailer prior to towing.

5. )  If your trailer has the original Marvel hitch, you will likely
need a heavy duty 2" ball.  Be wary of the 2" balls sold in the typical
discount stores - - they rarely carry a weight rating sufficient for an
Airstream.  Check with a trailer dealer - - 2" balls can be found with
6,000 lb. ratings if you find the right dealer.

You mention that you will be towing your Airstream to Iowa.  If you are
looking for a Vintage friendly Airstream dealer in Iowa, there is a very
good dealer in Cedar Falls.  Ace Fogdall RV is an Airstream dealer, and
their service/parts department has been very helpful with any and all
problems that I have encountered with my Overlander.  In fact, my
Overlander is in their shop for winter maintenance at this time.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban