[VAC] small ka-boom in Suburban furnace

Merry Christmas fellow airstreamers.
After ripping out our Suburban furnace, pulling out the burner (no small job
in itself) and taking a hack saw blade and swiping it through the burner
openings that were sooted over with 30 years of soot. we reassembled and
reinstalled.  Prior to this, the pilot and burner burned without a problem
except that the burner flame was a little wild and uncontrolled looking.  Now
that we've reassembled it, we light the pilot light burn for 30 seconds
later,  then a small explosion occurs inside the furnace, and light goes out.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause of this would likely be?  Could the
main valve be leaking gas into the burner but not allowing enough flow to
light the burner?  A few days ago, before we noticed the explosions, we ran
the furnace by turning on the thermostat, and it seem to run beautifully,
(nice flame) except when left on for a while the pilot would go out, but we
weren't standing around to know if an explosion occured or if it mearely went
out.

Have a happy new year everyone.  I'll be in and out of touch for a while over
the holidays.  Thanks a bunch.
Brenda - '69 Overlander (almost camping ready after 6 months)