Re: [VAC] Vent Replacement

Finished the roof-top AC removal and Vent reinstallation this weekend -
looks nice!  Balance is restored to the Caravel.  Luckily the prior
owner saved the old vent & fan parts when they installed the AC unit. I
took pictures during the process and will post them on a page in our
upcoming website.  Now that daughter has time during Christmas vacation,
she may get it done!

Couple items of note:
- The little rubber washers on the Olympic rivets are bad news.  In good
tight holes they squish out under the head - I'm taking them off from
now on.  The Vulkem sealant worked just fine.

- I  used my new 5/32" rivet head shaver from RivetsPlus - worth every
dollar!  You can't tell the difference between the factory and these new
rivets.  Worked on the 3/16" size, too.

-The original 14" aluminum vent cap was missing, so I used a 15" Lindeen
white ABS cap and sprayed it aluminum. To fill the void between the
housing and the new cap, I riveted on a aluminum/vinyl bulb seal to the
housing.   The cap comes down around it and closes with a satisfying
weathertite "squish".

- I picked up the Zolotone paint from the automotive paint store
yesterday, and will start practicing the process. I was surprised they
were still made the stuff - Wally used good basic materials.  The
samples they had preview what is going to be a beautiful interior
finish.  More on this later.

-This reinforces my belief that in doing any renovations, save the old
parts - you may realize it was a bad decision or looks bad - or when it
comes time to sell (it happens to all eventually) the buyer may pay more
because they are available.  You will also find your own tastes
changing, too.  They also make great patterns for replacement parts if necessary.

RJ
'65 Caravel LY