[VAC] Sewer adaptor

Yesterday I purchased a Thetford sewer adaptor and again it doesn't fit.
I've got a whole box full of adaptors and parts that don't fit!.  What part
do I need?  The original part is cast metal that fits on the trailer.  I
can't get a standard sewer hose over it and there is no way I can see to cap
it off when traveling.  So I went to local RV place and they sold me a
Thetford adaptor.  It has a seal and two hook thingees to twist on.  What I
am trying to assemble it to has 4 flat protrusions to screw on to and these
don't work with the adaptor. Somebody out there know what I'm trying to
describe and what the fix is??  The part coming out of the trailer seems to
be plastic and I can't tell if it is origianal or not.
Also wondering what size wire the electrical cord was to connect to shore
power on the 1964 trailers?  I don't use much in the way of appliances.  The
old cord is very stiff and I am going to replace it - #12 OK or do I really
need #10 ?
Just Plain Polly
Western Slope of Rocky Mts.
1964 Globe Trotter