[VAC] Re: Big Basin

Jerry and Deborah,

Yes, I've visited Big Bend once, in '69 or '70.  It's a beautiful place with
a lot of presence. I remember that we camped in the Basin, hiked to the top
of Emory Peak, hiked through a canyon or two, and we did take the rowboat
ride to Boquillas, although I don't remember seeing anyplace there where you
could spend money.  We also waded across the Rio Grande at another spot
where it was barely above our knees.  Since then I've bought the Big Bend
calendar whenever I was able to find it (only about three or four times).  I
hope to take enough photos to make my own calendar this year.

I'm going to be with a group that pays a fee to camp on a private ranch
that's either within the park or adjacent to it.  It's fairly close to the
Basin, and I expect the daytime activities will be similar to the above, and
may also include some overnight hikes as you suggest.

There will be at least one vintage Airstream there, which belongs to a guy
named Mike from the Los Angeles area (Mike, are you on the list?).  Maybe
this will be my first "Airstream of the Month" on my web site.  I'll report
back after the trip, and hopefully post some pictures on my site.

I should be there at least through Jan 2, and maybe a few days longer.  When
do you expect to be there?

Don