RE: [VAC] A new trailer

Kiki:

         Interesting story, but about what I experienced in Ohio so far as
paying sales tax.  I got an exemption because the car was a gift.
         I'm a little surprised that anyone was paying enough attention
here in GA that they discovered a possible unpaid tax; actually, it's good
news for us taxpayers.  My experiences with the Ga Dept of MV is that they
often have no clue as to what's going on.  I know of one gentleman who used
his PA driving license in GA for 20 years, surrendering it only when his
daughter needed a learners permit.  The clerk wasn't even phased - just
accepted it and issued a GA license without any penalty.
         Thanks for sharing your experience.  According to GA law, sales
tax is not levied on sale of a MV from one individual to another; buying
from a dealer is another matter.  If that also applies to sales of RVs,
that would be another reason to buy our new trailer from an individual, not
from a dealer.  Good will is not a factor in Atlanta, as the best repair
shop here is not an AS dealer (an ex-AS dealer).

- Dick
(5368)